2009-01-14

Izelítő

Szerelmes lettem ebbe a részbe. Abba, ahogy Lestát képes, az írónő képes, látni a művészetet, a zenét, a színházat, a cirkuszt. Egy hívő és egy hitetlen vitája. Csak éppen nem tudom eldönteni, melyik másik.

"You make life when you play." I said. "You create something from nothing. You make something good happen. And that is blessed to me."
"I make music and it makes me happy, " he said. "What is blessed or good about that?"
I waved it away as I always did his cynicism now.
"I've lived all these years among those who create nothing and change nothing." I said. "Actors and musicians, they're saints to me."
"Saints?" he asked. "Blessedness? Goodness? Lestat, your language baffles me."
I smiled and shook my head.
"You don't understand. I'm speaking of the character of human beings, not what they believe in. I'm speaking of those who won't accept a useless lie, just because they were born to it. I mean those who would be something better. They work, they sacrifice, they do things. . ."
He was moved by this, and I was a little surprised that I'd said it. Yet I felt I had hurt him somehow.
"There is blessedness in that." I said. "There's sanctity. And God or no God, there is goodness in it. I know this the way I know the mountains are out there, that the stars shine."
[...]
"Now, how could it not have been good," I asked, "to give and receive such happiness? We brought to life that town when we put on our play. Magic, I tell you. It could heal the sick, it could."
He shook his head. And I knew there were things he wanted to say which out of
respect for me he was leaving to silence.
"You don't understand, do you?" I asked.
"Lestat, sin always feels good." he said gravely. "Don't you see that? Why do you think the Church has always condemned the players? It was from Dionysus, the wine god, that the theater came. You can read that in Aristotle. And Dionysus was a god that drove men to debauchery. [...]"

Anne Rice - The Vampire Chronicles - The Vampire Lestat

No comments: